Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Getting To Know ... Peta from Mathilda's Market




I am passionate about … My 15-month-old daughter Edie and partner Kirk, seeing live music and discovering new bands, reading, cooking, and my freelance publicity work, in particular, my work with Mathilda’s Market. My family live in NSW as do my oldest friends, and I’m passionate about regular visits! (I grew up in Sydney but now live in Melbourne).

I get frustrated when … People fictionalise and brag about their lives on social networking sites! Juggling raising kids, earning an income and housework is incredibly rewarding, but it’s hard work, too. It’d be so fab if we could all be a little more honest about that, and share a laugh about it, rather than pretending it’s all sunshine and lollipops. I think we should support one another by being open and truthful, and by reassuring each other that it’s OK to mess up sometimes. Sisterhood, yay!

I started my business because … I used to be a publicist in the book publishing industry. It involved lots of travel, which was never going to work when Edie was born. I was thinking about undertaking some work from home when Anne Lewis, Queen Bee at Mathilda’s Market, advertised for a communications person. Pick me, pick me! I’m so thankful to Anne for giving me a chance - I enjoy my work immensely.

My favourite TV show is … Six Feet Under. Its last episode was incredible – haunting, moving, bizarre - sheer perfection! A song played in the finale called “Breathe Me” by Sia STILL gives me goosebumps. Of course, like many Australians I’m addicted to Masterchef, and love the nightly ritual of sitting down to watch it with Kirk.

If I could be anywhere right now I’d be … In New York – never been, dying to go! Vietnam is also high on my list, as is Mozambique to visit my best friend who now lives there. But closer to home, I’m always wishing I was in Jervis Bay on the south coast of NSW, where my parents live – such a stunning part of the world (with babysitters on call!)

I am most proud of … Taking a leap of faith and moving interstate from Sydney to Melbourne, for love. I’m also proud of having made the switch from a demanding job and social life in Sydney, to a much quieter suburban life of motherhood and part time work in Melbourne. I hope I’ve handled a big transition reasonably well!

I think the biggest obstacle our kids will face in the future is … A crisis in housing affordability. I think they’ll also have to truly deal with the repercussions of previous generations (including us) having trashed the planet. Sadly, we take this lump of rock we live on for granted.

I love listening to ... At the moment, Laura Marling, Dan Sultan, The Black Crowes, Jason Mraz, Andrew Morris, Nick Barker and in a nod to the 60s and 70s, the sublime Joni Mitchell ... Music is a big part of my life, and an even bigger part of my partner’s life.

My heart sings when … Edie toddles over to give me a huge smile and hug when I collect her from daycare on Fridays. She’s a real Daddy’s Girl so I often feel like chopped liver when the two of them get together - despite this, it’s very sweet to watch them at play! But when she hasn’t seen me for a while, I realise she DOES think I’m pretty cool.

The hardest part of running my business is … Not buying all the beautiful things created by Mathilda’s Market stallholders that I write about! Also, given I work from home, it can be difficult to suddenly change my focus to house & family from work, and vice versa.

Edie show early signs of  an appreciation for cute clothes - just like her Mum!

I love sipping on … Coffee in the morning ... aaah! I love red wine too. I used to be a party girl, but raising a child and hangovers don’t mix!

One of the funniest things I’ve ever seen is ... My little girl has recently started walking around with household items held to her ear, saying “Hewwo? How you?”

The best part of my day is … I have two:  the first is when Kirk and I hear Edie wake, and I fetch her from her cot and bring her into our bed for a family cuddle. The second is when I put her down for a day sleep, fire up the coffee machine, switch on my laptop to start work, and turn on the TV to keep one eye on The Circle. I find rituals and routine very calming when life is hectic.

Doing a very tongue-in-cheek photo shoot at a Sydney pub for my friend's business, www.gorgeousthings.com.au

My favourite food is … Where do I start ... I just love my food! Prawn thai curries, peking duck pancakes, Reese’s peanut butter cups, my Grandma’s caramel sauce, my Mum’s tuna pie, my friend Sharni’s camp oven baked dinners, smoked salmon, peanut butter, chocolate ice cream or chocolate anything, yum cha, Cheezels and Chinese dumplings are just a few of the things that make my mouth water. I also enjoy cooking – sometimes successfully, sometimes unsuccessfully, but always with enthusiasm.

I struggle with … Keeping life simple and uncluttered and not getting too sucked into our consumerist society, where we seem to need to own a lot of “stuff” to be considered successful. The older I get, the more I just want to pare my life back and focus on the important things: family and friends. I want to have the time to stop and smell the roses.

I am also a media junkie, and I struggle with not being able to read the weekend papers in the same leisurely way I did before Edie came along. My stash of unread papers grows ever-larger by the week, until they drive Kirk bananas and off to the recycling bin they go!

Friendship to me means … Honesty, and feeling you don’t have to prove yourself to someone. The best friends are the ones you don’t need to wear a mask around when you’re with them. You can be a dag, and they love you for it!

I just can’t live without … my family, The Green Guide, the coffee machine, the internet, Foxtel IQ, and my burgeoning paper pile!




Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Marthese said...

Great to put a face to a name....lovely to meet you...doing a great job!

lisa :: the red thread said...

Oh, I was about to say exactly the same thing as Marthese said!
Lovely to read about you Peta.
Love the photo of you doing a spot of cleaning for your friend's photo shoot!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Lovely to read & learn so much more bout you Peta!! You do such a great job doing our profiles!! Love Posie

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...