Toasted Coconut Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup (75g) icing sugar, sifted
- 500g caster sugar
- 1 tbs liquid glucose
- 2 tbs gelatine powder
- 2 eggwhites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (75g) cornflour
- Grease and line a 18cm x 25cm x 4cm lamington pan. Dust inside of pan with 2 tablespoons icing sugar. Combine the caster sugar, liquid glucose and 200ml water in a saucepan over low heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and cook over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes until a sugar thermometer reaches 120°C.
- Place 200ml cold water in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the powdered gelatine, then stand for 10 minutes. Place the bowl in a saucepan of simmering water and stir until completely clear. Stir the gelatine mixture into the sugar syrup.
- Beat eggwhites with electric beaters until stiff peaks form. Continue to beat while you gradually add the sugar syrup, then beat for a further 10 minutes until mixture thickens and becomes glossy. Fold in the vanilla and pour the mixture into the pan. Chill for 1 hour until firm.
- Combine the remaining icing sugar and cornflour in a bowl, then spread over a tray. Cut marshmallow into about 24 squares and roll each in sugar mixture. Stand for 1 hour to dry. Store in an airtight container. Marshmallows are best eaten within a day.
- mmmmmmmm perfect for a wintery hot chocolate!