Perfect for these last days of cold nights...
- 2cm-piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 5 whole cloves
- 750ml (3 cups) water
- 1/4 cup black tea leaves
- 125ml (1/2 cup) milk
- Brown sugar or honey to taste
- Place ginger, cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom seeds, peppercorns, fennel seeds, cloves, and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Add black tea leaves to the spice mixture and set aside for 5 minutes to infuse. Strain the tea leaf mixture through a fine sieve into a large heatproof jug. Discard the tea leaves and spices. Return the tea to the pan. Stir in milk. Place the mixture over low heat and stir until heated through.
- Pour the chai among heatproof serving glasses or teacups and stir in brown sugar or honey to taste. Serve.