Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hobart love



I've fallen for Hobart. It happened almost instantly, as soon as I stepped from the plane last weekend - the clean, fresh air was almost intoxicating, and I was enamoured! As well as a little sightseeing, I of course had the grand debut of Mathilda's Market in the city to look forward to. I had the distinct feeling I was about to have a sterling weekend - 24 hours of balm for the soul! I wanted to do a happy dance, but I was in a public place, and it would have attracted baffled sideways glances.

I've been to Tasmania before, but never have I been accompanied by a guide with such thorough local knowledge! My on-the-ground assistant and Hobart resident, Robyn, helped to organise our first Tassie event - thanks Robyn! (But she could easily forge a second career as a tour guide). Robyn took me to Hobart's heavenly Battery Point, which was the highlight of the weekend for me (apart from the Market, of course). It's an old port and maritime village just south of the CBD. It retains much of the look of 100 years ago - if you love classic architecture and beautiful old, divinely cool and stylish shops, I highly recommend a visit to Battery Point.



Oh, and the food in Hobart is just wonderful! The city has a wealth of great eateries and restaurants to choose from - I even took an assortment of irresistible foodstuffs home to Melbourne with me. I really wish I'd taken my hubby and kids on this trip to Tassie  - I'll know better for next time!

Anyway, I'm not here to boost tourist numbers to Tasmania, so I'll get back to Mathilda's! Market
D-Day arrived, the weather was lovely and I headed to the venue, the Hobart Function and Conference Centre, which perches at the end of the Elizabeth Street Pier. I stood next to the building and gazed out over the Derwent (you should SEE the location of this venue! Incredible!), then filled my lungs with that clean air, smiled and headed inside for set up.


9am arrived and so did the crowds, and Hobartians kept arriving right until closing time. It was so heartening to see so many come to support local creators, including Ruby Victoria Letterpress, Notions, What Katy Did Next, Bye Bye Birdie and Sunday's Child

Here's a few photos I snapped of stalls on the day. (My camera will need to be surgically removed from my hands - I'm still addicted!)

Journals from Isis - these are all hand bound and vintage inspired - just beautiful!


Badges from Isis


The handiwork of Little Snoring


Oh and look! We even had royalty in our midst.
 (The Union Jack cushion is from Little Snoring).


A contented little customer's inner artist emerges


There were long queues for the very popular face painter!


Happy shoppers

It was such a sweetly satisfying and enjoyable event for me to witness taking place - and I dearly hope all our Tassie shoppers felt the same. A big thanks to our Hobart stallholders for creating such unique wares and presenting them with such flair and care. See you again Tasmania - on Saturday 17 July, same time and place! (Oh and there's more pics below!)

Anne x


 
More from Notions




Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Jenny said...

So sorry I missed it.

Jane said...

It really was a stunning venue and the array of goodies was fabulous. Will there be more stalls next time? There was more space for them. I hope this is the beginning of even greater things.

Unknown said...

Thanks Anne for such a fabulous market. I had a great time aand have already put my name down for the next one. The pics are fab too!

Angela said...

a group of us drove two hours to come down, not as many stalls as we were anticipating, perhaps if the cost was not so high you may get more stalls.
i ordered a bag from a local lady Anna Jayne Designs great items.
Lots of clever ladies out there!

whatkatiedidnext said...

Thanks for the mention Anne! I really enjoyed the market and felt it was a wonderful success. Looking forward to the next one! Katie x

giftboxology said...

wow the pics look great!
i love little buttons.
tassie is a beautiful place, unique part of oz.

Sonia Skegg said...

Thanks for the mention Anne. It was a fabulous day, I think the nerves that we as stallholders felt disappeared as soon as the doors opened. It was busy for the full 4hrs and was definitely a success. I'm looking forward to the next one - which I'm sure will be bigger & better. Well done to you and your team - keep up the good work!

pamela said...

i love tasmania! i studied there in 2002 and was just in time to make the "Taste" festival as well as the volvo sailing race. we traveled all over and i stayed at the university of hobart. such wonderful memories! glad your market was a success.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...